Friday, January 11, 2008

January 10

January 10, 2008

I dreamt that I was shown the computer labs at CJS and they were full of the ancient Macs that TH and Tekserve have as curiosities. There was a lot more in my dream, but I slept pretty well.

Kaori-san (I don’t know what to call her to her face – I called her 川口さん(last name, rather formal) a couple times, but I’m not sure what she wants to be called) was surprised that I slept well even without the electric blanket or the heater or anything. I think she’s a little worried that it might not be good for me… I’ll see. I just don’t think that I need to use the 電気 for an entire night while I’m not really getting the benefit of it consciously.

Japanese 紅茶 (black tea) is so weak that I’m having no trouble drinking it without milk or sugar. This is unprecedented for me. Usually that’s only true of green tea, and peppermint.

I got up an hour earlier than I needed to, and didn’t realize. I guess midnight calculations of time while still with じさぼっけ (jetlag, literally “time-difference stupidity” I think ^^) aren’t too accurate. Well, more time for 勉強 (studying – an indispensable all-purpose term, for expressing yourself as much as endearing yourself to your host mother…)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had that "what to call your host mother to her face" problem when I was in France... I think I decided to use the formal "vous" over "tu", but on the whole, I tried to avoid using second person singular with her.

(Of course, it's a different matter what you call your host mother behind their back...)

As I wait for the next installments of Emily's Adventures in Japan, my breath is among those things that I will bate.

Anonymous said...

Your host mother seems very worried for your wellbeing. I wonder if she had strange experiences with her previous host children.

Emily's adventures in Japan aren't even lost in translation! Yaay!