Friday, January 11, 2008

January 8

January 8, 2008

Today we went to Meijimura, a slightly eerie concept: buildings brought from various places (Japan, but also Seattle and Hawaii) to illustrate what things would have looked like in the Meiji era. For those who don’t know, what makes it so eerie (besides that these buildings are from various places) is that during this period, Japan was starting to be infatuated with Western architecture and clothing as status symbols, so the juxtaposition gets to be pretty weird. But there was a really cool turn-of-the-century darkroom, in one of the traditional Japanese houses! I’m really pleased that I learned the kanji for darkroom recently (暗室), or else I would not have been able to find it on the map. There are a few people who know some English here, but for the most part signs and everything are all in Japanese. I really wonder what darkroom processes that poet was using. The sign didn’t think it was important to list.


ほしいなこと:
1. Boots. All of the girls in Nagoya (ALL of them) look really cute. Not in a かわいい way, but just really well put together. And there’s LOTS of boots. I’m sad that I didn’t bring mine. But I’m pleased that I won’t have a hard time trying to look cute.
2. A cell phone charm, to remind me that my phone belongs here and should be used. I haven’t called anyone yet, although I suppose I should.
3. More stationary and more stamps. I’m really pleased with my anthropomorphic tofu stationary, but I know I’ll want to write tons of letters. I already want to write a letter every five minutes.
4. An electronic dictionary. They seem incredibly useful and portable and fast, and my paper dictionary doesn’t even have “ninja” in it. Also you can look up kanji – you just write the kanji on a screen and it finds what it might be and also words it could be in.
5. Paper, to teach Brian how to make shuriken. I can’t believe he doesn’t know. I have to get him in touch with Dylan, I think they’ll both save the world together as spiritual ninja.

No comments: